How does The Education Alliance support College Access?
Beginning in 2019, The Education Alliance secured a grant to allow students from 25 West Virginia Middle Schools to visit in-state colleges. A recent study shows that students who visit college campuses early are more likely to go to college. The purpose of these visits was to increase those odds even further by teaching students about the colleges in their area, what those colleges offered in their courses, and what criteria were required to attend.
The Education Alliance is pleased to partner with the Higher Education Policy Commission again this year to offer college visit grants. This year, the funding will be used to support 35 West Virginia middle schools in increasing student participation in statewide College Visits. The grant will enable participating schools to receive funding, and technical support to engage their 7th grade students in college visits of 2-year or 4-year institutions In the State of West Virginia. The visit will be free to all students, and money can be used for more than one campus site visit. The visit must follow each counties field trip policy. Interested schools should submit applications by November 4, 2019.
For more information contact Beth Bowden at 304-342-7850 (phone) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In 2018-19, 25 middle schools received college visit grants.
- Baileysville Middle, Wyoming
- Blennerhassett Middle School, Wood
- Bluefield Middle School, Lewis
- Braxton County Middle School, Braxton
- Buckhannon-Upshur Middle, Upsher
- Clay County Middle School, Clay
- Collins Middle School, Fayette
- Frankfort Middle School, Mineral
- Huntington Middle School, Cabell
- Marlinton Middle, Pocahontas
- McKinley Middle School, Kanawha
- Park Middle School, Raleigh
- Pleasants County Middle School, Pleasants
- Princeton Middle School, Mercer
- Roane County Schools, Roane
- Robert L. Bland Middle School
- Sherman Junior High, Boone
- South Middle School, Monogalia
- South Preston, Preston
- Spring Mills Middle, Berkeley
- Stonewall Jackson Middle, Kanawha
- Taylor County Middle School, Taylor
- Warm Springs Middle, Morgan
- Webster County High School, Webster